b. = born
bap. = baptised
c. = christened
c/m = marriage contract
d. = died
d. vita patris = died in the father's lifetime
dsp = (decessit sine prole) died without issue
m. = married
This is a snippet view only and any information relating to descendants of younger sons has been removed.
OF ELDERSLIE & CULCREUCH
John Speirs, was a Merchant in Edinburgh and was admitted to Burgess and Guild of that city on 29 June 1705. He m. at Edinburgh, on 28 October 1708, to Isobel, daughter of John Tweedie, Provost of Peebles, and was father of,
- John Speirs, b. at Edinburgh, on 5 December 1712.
- Alexander Speirs, 1st of Elderslie and Culcreuch, (see below).
- James Speirs, b. at Edinburgh, on 6 April 1720, became a wright and was admitted to Burgess and Guild of Edinburgh in right of his father on 20 April 1743. He dsp by 19 July 1763 when his brother, Alexander, was served heir general to him.
- Isobel Speirs, bap. at Edinburgh, on 23 October 1709.
- Helen Speirs, b. at Edinburgh, on 15 July 1711.
- Margaret Speirs, bap. at Edinburgh, on 12 February 1716.
- Joanna Speirs, b. at Edinburgh, on 31 October 1718.
Alexander Speirs, 1st of Elderslie and Culcreuch, b. at Edinburgh, on 14 September 1714 and in his younger years he settled in Virginia where he had a plantation and traded as a merchant. Returning to Scotland about 1750 he set himself up in Glasgow and continued his tobacco business with such effectiveness that he was considered to be the richest of that trade in Europe. The fortune he amassed from that and his other various mercantile endeavours, including banking, was so considerable that he was able to invest in extensive estates including those of Elderslie, Houston and Culcreuch. He was served heir to his mother, Isobel Tweedie, widow of John Speirs, Merchant in Edinburgh, on 11 April 1763 and then heir general to his brother, James, on 19 July following. He d. on 10 December 1782, having m. firstly, to Sarah Casey, and secondly, on 2 March 1755, to Mary Buchanan, (she survived him and d. at Kilbarchan, on 7 November 1787), and was father of,
- John Speirs, who d. at Glasgow, on 27 March 1773, when a student of moral philosophy at the University of Glasgow.
- Archibald Speirs, 2nd of Elderslie, (see below).
- Alexander Speirs, d. at Glasgow, on 24 August 1772, when a student in the Humanity class at the University of Glasgow, aged 13.
- Peter Speirs, 1st of Culcreuch, b. on 12 May 1761 and succeeded to Culcreuch by virtue of an entail by his father of 1780. He m. at Gartmore House, on 8 April 1792, to Martha Harriot, youngest daughter of Robert Graham of Gartmore, (she survived him and d. at Laurel Hill, Stirling, on 20 September 1841), d. in 1829 and had issue, (see full version).
- Martha Speirs, b. on 10 February 1756 and m. George Crawford, one of the Bailies of Glasgow. She d. at Edinburgh, on 25 September 1789.
- Helen Speirs, b. on 3 July 1766.
- Joanna Isabella Speirs, b. on 24 June 1772.
- Grace Speirs, b. on 28 July 1770 and m. as a third wife, on 8 October 1805, to William Murray of Touchadam, (he d. at Edinburgh, on 29 August 1814). They had issue.
- Mary Speirs, d. at Polmont Park, on 19 May 1849.
Archibald Speirs, 2nd of Elderslie, b. on 10 February 1758, succeeded his father and was served heir to him on 27 January 1783. He m. on 24 January 1794, to Margaret, daughter of Thomas, 1st Lord Dundas, (she survived him and d. at Leamington, on 8 May 1852), d. at Elderslie House, on 2 November 1832 and was father of,
- Alexander Speirs, 3rd of Elderslie, (see below).
- Thomas Dundas Speirs, bap. on 21 October 1805 and d. unmarried, at Southport, Lancashire, on 21 January 1892.
- Archibald William Speirs, bap. on 21 August 1807.
- Peter Charles Speirs, b. on 20 November 1811 and d. on 22 March 1822.
- Laurence Dundas Speirs, bap. on 27 December 1815.
- Margaret Bruce Speirs, b. on 9 December 1794 and d. at Weisbaden, Germany, on 12 November 1858.
- Mary Speirs, bap. on 8 March 1796.
- Charlotte Fitzwilliam Speirs, bap. on 23 August 1797 and d. at Elderslie House, on 8 June 1815.
- Anne Godolphin Speirs, b. on 7 February 1799 and d. unmarried, at Villa Lante, Leamington, on 23 June 1873.
- France Laura Speirs, bap. on 25 July 1800 and m. at Elderslie House, on 24 June 1824, to Robert Cunningham-Graham of Gartmore, (he d. at Mortlake, on 23 January 1863). They had issue.
- Helen Speirs, bap. on 6 November 1801 and d. unmarried, at Leamington, on 10 April 1887.
- Dorothy Dundas Speirs, bap. on 28 September 1804 and d. unmarried, at Elderslie House, on 29 December 1832.
- Harriet Isabel Speirs, bap. on 13 March 1810.
- Matilda Isabella Grace Speirs, bap. on 1 September 1813.
Alexander Speirs, 3rd of Elderslie, bap. on 10 June 1803, succeeded his father and was served heir to him on 23 March 1835. He m. at Bantaskine, on 22 June 1836, to Eliza Stewart, eldest daughter of Thomas Campbell Hagart of Bantaskine, (she survived him and m. secondly, at St. George’s, Hanover Square, London, on 24 September 1867, to Edward Ellice of Invergarry, by whom she had no issue ; and d. at Eastbury Manor, Compton, Surrey, on 6 December 1910), d. at Roehampton, near London, on 5 October 1844 and was father of,
- Archibald Alexander Speirs, 4th of Elderslie, (see below).
- Eliza Speirs, m. at St. George’s Church, Hanover Square, London, on 12 February 1863, to Lieutenant-Colonel Claude Alexander, 1st Baronet of Ballochmyle, (he d. at Old Queen Street, Westminster, London, on 23 May 1899), and d. on 16 July 1927, having had issue.
Archibald Alexander Speirs, 4th of Elderslie, b. on 5 June 1840 and succeeded his father in 1844. He m. at at Longford Castle, on 3 September 1867, to Anne Pleydell-Bouverie, eldest daughter of Viscount Folkstone, (she survived him and d. at Neilston House, Neilston, on Saturday 18 September 1915). He d. on 30 December 1868 and was father of,
Alexander Archibald Hagart Speirs, 5th of Elderslie, b. posthumously at Eaton Place, London, on 3 June 1869 and succeeded his father. He m. in 1918, to Mary Elizabeth Henrietta Livingstone and dsp in 1959, when his estates passed to David Crichton Maitland.
 SRS Edinburgh Burgess Roll.
 OPR – Edinburgh.
 SRS Edinburgh Burgess Roll.
 Services of Heirs.
 Services of Heirs.
 Scots Magazine, 1st December 1782 edition.
 OPR – Glasgow.
 Scots Magazine, 1st November 1817 edition.
 Scots Magazine, 1st March 1773 edition.
 Scots Magazine, 1st August 1772 edition.
 OPR – Edinburgh. See also: Scots Magazine, 12th April 1792 edition.
 Perthshire Courier, 30th September 1841 edition.
 OPR – Fintry. See also: Edinburgh Evening Courant, 17th March 1828 edition.
 Statutory record. See also: SC67/36/69 for Trust Disposition and Settlement & London Evening Standard, 27th July 1877 edition.
 OPR – Edinburgh. See also: Caledonian Mercury, 24th March 1832 edition.
 SC70/4/5. See also: London Evening Standard, 28th December 1847 edition.
 Statutory record. See also: Caledonian Mercury, 11th March 1858 edition. She is then styled the only child.
 SC67/36/85. See also: London Evening Standard, 4th August 1887 edition.
 India Office record.
 Greenock Advertiser, 25th August 1864 edition.
 SC49/31/67. See also: Greenock Advertiser, 15th March 1859 edition.
 OPR – Durham.
 Statutory record. See also: SC62/44/109.
 Globe, 10th March 1915 edition.
 Hampshire Telegraph, 16th August 1912 edition.
 SC70/4/503. See also: The Scotsman, 1st May 1917 edition.
 Edinburgh Evening News, 3rd February 1905 edition.
 Statutory record. See also: Morning Post, 31st December 1858 edition.
 Statutory record. See also: Greenock Advertiser, 30th August 1866 edition.
 Statutory record. See also: London Evening Standard, 21st November 1878 edition.
 Statutory record. See also: Morning Post, 18th January 1890 edition.
 Statutory record. See also: Morning Post, 26th August 1885 edition.
 Scots Magazine, 1st September 1789 edition.
 OPR – Saint Ninians.
 SC67/36/35. See also: Perthshire Advertiser, 24th May 1849 edition.
 Services of Heirs.
 Scots Magazine, 1st January 1794 edition.
 SC70/1/77. See also: London Evening Standard, 20th May 1852 edition.
 Edinburgh Evening Courant, 12th November 1832 edition.
 SC6/44/54. See also: Glasgow Herald, 23rd January 1892 edition.
 Houghton Le Spring, St Michael & All Angels inscriptions.
 SC6/44/26. See also: Morning Post, 20th November 1858 edition.
 Caledonian Mercury, 22nd June 1815 edition.
 SC6/46/9. See also: Greenock Advertiser, 26th June 1873 edition.
 Illustrated London News, 31st January 1863 edition.
 SC6/46/18. See also: London Evening Standard, 16th April 1887 edition.
 SC58/42/7. See also: London Courier, 10th January 1833 edition.
 Perthshire Courier, 30th June 1836 edition.
 Inverness Courier, 3rd October 1867 edition.
 Clifton Society, 15th December 1910 edition.
 SC70/1/67. See also: Caledonian Mercury, 10th October 1844 edition.
 Greenock Advertiser, 17th February 1863 edition.
 SC6/44/62. See also: Dundee Evening Telegraph, 24th May 1899 edition.
 Morning Advertiser, 7th September 1867 edition.
 Statutory record. See also: SC58/42/83.
 Statutory record.