Extracted from Volume 1 of the Red Book of Sotland
David Arbuthnott, 1st of Findowrie, was the eldest son of Robert Arbuthnott of Arbuthnott by his third wife, Helen Clephane, and withhis father he was infeft in the half-part of the lands of Arbirny, in the parish of Benholm, by charter dated 19 May 1561. He had acquired those of Findowrie from his father by 18 February 1580 and is styled brother to John Arbuthnott, brother of Andrew Arbuthnott of Arbuthnott, when included in a remainder for those lands contained in a charter to his nephew, Robert Arbuthnott, fiar of that Ilk, dated 5 March 1587/88.
- Robert Arbuthnott, 2nd of Findowrie, (see below).
- Margaret Arbuthnott,
- Elspeth Arbuthnott, m. as a first wife, Sir James Young of Seton and had issue.
- Christian Arbuthnott,
- Elizabeth Arbuthnott, all of whom are named in their mother’s Testament of 1596.
He m. secondly, to a daughter of Stewart of Inchbreck, and had further issue;
- David Arbuthnott, is named in his father’s Testament in 1602 and being then under age, his paternal uncle, James Arbuthnott, was appointed tutor to he and his half-sisters, Christian, Elizabeth and Margaret.
Robert Arbuthnott, 2nd of Findowrie, succeeded to Findowrie on his father’s death in May 1602 and had service as heir to him in the third part town and lands of Arbirnie on 31 July of that same year. He m. Margaret, daughter of Sir William Graham, 4thof Claverhouse, (she was widow of George Symmer, fiar of Balzeordie whom she had married by contract dated 21 July 1606), to whom, as his future spouse, he granted a charter for the liferent of the lands of Wester Inzievar on 19 December 1616, and d. before May 1681. He was father of,
- Robert Arbuthnott, 3rd of Findowrie, (see below).
- David Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 5 December 1626.
- Alexander Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 8 October 1629 and d. before May 1663. He was father of,
3a} George Arbuthnott, was served heir general to his father on 2 May 1663 and in which his father is styled son of Robert Arbuthnott of Findowrie. He appears to have dsp by 26 April 1664 when his uncle, Robert Arbuthnott, fiar of Findowrie, was served heir general to his father.
- Margaret Arbuthnott, m. James Ogilvy of Balfour and is styled his promised wife in a Sasine to them of 31 December 1642.They had issue.
Robert Arbuthnott, 3rd of Findowrie, succeeded his father and had special service as heir to him in the west-half of the lands of Chapellands of Caldhame and others, on 17 May 1681. He m. 4 November 1641, Elizabeth, daughter of William Rait of Halgreen, (c/m 8 July 1641), and d. in January 1693 having had issue;
- Robert Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 25 September 1646 and d. before June 1679.
- Robert Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 8 April 1648 and d. before June 1679.
- David Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 23 August 1649 and d. before June 1679.
- George Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 3 June 1652 and d. before June 1679.
- Alexander Lindsay, fiar of Findowrie, (see below).
- John Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 20 October 1660 and d. before 5 March 1685 when his brother, Alexander, is styled the only son.
- Marjorie Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 27 August 1642 and m. Francis Farquharson of Finzean. They had issue.
- Margaret Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 24 September 1643 and d. young.
- Magdalen Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 7 January 1645.
- Margaret Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 13 January 1657.
- Elizabeth Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 11 December 1650 and m. John Turnbull of Strathcathro.
- Isobel Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 21 March 1654.
- Marie Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, 1 October 1655.
Alexander Lindsay, fiar of Findowrie, bap. at Brechin, 12 April 1658 and m. on 5 June 1679, to Margaret, daughter of Sir Alexander Lindsay, 1st Baronet of Evelick, (c/m 23 April 1679. She survived him and m. secondly, to James Peirson of Balmadies, by whom she had further issue. She d. on 11/12 May 1714). He is styled the “only son” in a precept issued by his father to Alexander and Margaret Lindsay, his wife, on 5 March 1685, for the sunny and west halves of the lands of Caldhame in implementation of their marriage contract, and d. vita patris in 1688. He was father of,
- Robert Arbuthnott, bap. at Brechin, on 3 November 1680 and d. before January 1693.
- Alexander Arbuthnott, 4th of Findowrie, (see below).
- Elizabeth Arbuthnott, d. aged eighteen years and was buried in Chapelyard “some years before her mother’s death”.
Alexander Arbuthnott, 4th of Findowrie, who, succeeding his grandfather, had service as heir to him in the lands of Findowrie on 30 July 1693 and was also served heir general to his father on 18 September 1707. He m. Margaret Ochterlony, whom he names in his Will of 11 July 1744, and d. on 22 April 1745 having had issue,
- Margaret Arbuthnott, who was sole executrix to her father in 1745 and whom he also made his sole beneficiary to the exclusion of her younger sisters. She m. James Carnegie, younger of Balnamoon, (c/m 30 April 1734. He d. at Balnamoon, on 16 March 1791), who assumed the additional surname of Arbuthnott. She d. on 25 April 1776 having had issue which succeeded to Findowrie, (see Carnegie of Balnamoon).
- Jean Arbuthnott, m. as a second wife, 2 July 1749, John, 6th Viscount Arbuthnott, (c/m 4 July 1749), and d. 18 March 1786.
- Mary Arbuthnott, m. 20 December 1754, Captain William Ochterlony.
- Anne Arbuthnott, m. 7 January 1764, David Molison, merchant in Brechin, and had issue.
 CC8/8/29/pp. 352-353.
 OPR – Bervie.
 RS35/6/f.199 & 201.
 OPR – Kilspindie.
 Chapelyard Monumental Inscription (Rescobie).
 Chapelyard Monumental Inscription (Rescobie).
 Services of Heirs.
 Scots Magazine, 5th April 1745 edition. See also: CC3/4/21/2169-2177.
 OPR – Arbuthnott.
 OPR – Montrose.
 OPR – Brechin.